Drug and Alcohol Policy
Zero Harm Safety and Training is committed to the safety of its employees and has a duty of care to provide a safe working environment. Employees have a reciprocal duty of care for their own safety and the safety of their fellow workers and the public. To that end, Zero Harm Safety and Training recognises that persons under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol can have an impact upon the health, safety and decision making capability of its employees and as a result directly impact upon the safety of the Company’s operations.
The objectives of the Zero Harm Safety and Training Drug and Alcohol Policy are to:
- Provide a safe working environment by eliminating from the workplace hazards associated with personnel affected by alcohol and other drugs;
- Provide assistance through a range of preventative, educational and rehabilitative measures to overcome alcohol & other drug problems that could impair a person’s performance or fitness for work;
- Direct employees who have, or could be developing, a dependency on alcohol or other drugs towards a confidential Employee Assistance Programme (EAP);
- Provide a workplace which supports productivity and achievement of business objectives by minimising the harmful impact of alcohol and other drug consumption;
- Ensure that people who are deemed unfit for work as a result of alcohol or other drug misuse are dealt with in a fair and constructive manner;
- Ensure that Zero Harm Safety and Training meets its obligations to employees, contractors and the general public to carry out its activities safely;
- Confidentiality and privacy;
- Education training on drug and alcohol awareness.
The intention of this policy is to ensure appropriate behaviours and an awareness of alcohol and drug image in the workplace through education and testing. Where an employee is identified with an alcohol or drug problem, the company will provide assistance to help them address the problem. Where the company cannot be satisfied that the substance abuse is eliminated or controlled, the individual will be removed from employment at the site.
This Policy applies to all sites where Zero Harm Safety and Training is performing work and covers all our activities and services.